Demystifying EU Processes and Cultures
Europe Works Logically
4 May & 21 October
Venue: Brussels, Schuman District Schedule: 09:00 – 17:00 Price: € 420 ( +VAT )
This training is designed for professionals not embedded in the institutions seeking pragmatic demystification of EU Negotiation processes and cultures in order to use this knowledge proactively especially in EU27.
After this 1-day intensive training, participants will have improved their knowledge and understanding of EU27 meeting-negotiation dynamics, processes and institutional cultural constraints which can benefit “outsiders” seeking to influence specific outcomes.
This training will engage participants to appreciate and experience practitioner realities engaged directly in EU negotiation working parties & groups, committees, trilogues as well as multiple informal settings – the de facto “EU engine rooms” – as Member State, Commission or European Parliament representatives.
Methodology & Content
CENAD’s training methodology is resolutely “practical immersion” and applied “learning by doing”. An interactive presentation will contextualise the EU’s parts and pieces and actors into dynamic correlation. An easy-entry but realistic EU Council working party simulation role-play will highlight and put participants in the shoes of COM, Presidency and member states addressing a co-decision file in which specific constraints and inter-institutional relations play important roles. The simulation in video-recorded and used In the subsequent debriefings. How better to Influence people if one understands what they go through.
Our interactive training brings the following added-values:
- Performing in the skin & shoes of EU partners
- Silo-busting: exchange ideas and experience with peers
- Practice EU negotiation receive immediate expert feedback and coaching
- Expansion of professional networks
- CENAD certificate of attendance upon completion of the training module
What you learn
- Experiencee the fundamental EU negotiation realities of real-time meeting analysis, taking the floor, “field” operations (before, during, between sessions), lobbying-advocacy, emotional and cultural talent, hard & soft, intelligent flexibility, problem-solving and consensus-building, twinning strategic planning and tactics, and much more…
- EU-storytelling: myriad “real-world” negotiation examples illustrate simulation observations
- Improve EU negotiation understanding and identify available strategies and tactics
- Integrate EU procedures with institutional cultures in handling complexity and diverse interests
- Learn to integrate bilateral-multilateral with formal-informal meeting opportunities
- Prepare, coordinate, liaise and operate efficiently in inter-institutional settings
- Manage institutional partnerships in preparation for your and their negotiation environments
- Understand relative power, constraints and how compromises are created (not dictated)
- Quality communication-dialogue in EU negotiation forums: more than just good arguments
- Fine-tune influencing negotiation action-plan methodologies
- Demystify EU simultaneous interdependent intercultural and inter-institutional negotiations
- People skills for informal and formal settings
- Diplomatic skills for corporate influencing & lobbying
Robert Weibel, CENAD’s Executive Director Founder, will deliver this training. He has helped prepare chairpersons (up to minister-level) for 41 EU Council presidencies as well as working in-service with 25 member state MFAs and Line Ministries, European Commission and the European Parliament as well as for numerous international organisations, diplomatic academies, industry and civil society.
“What I found the most appropriate is that the theoretical concepts were put into perspective during the debriefings and based on what actually happened during the simulation exercise, creating a great training atmosphere”
“Absolutely pertinent to my daily work, video debriefing extremely useful”
“This 2-day module was more than just a training but a sequence of personal coaching session. I am much more confident in taking the floor during my meetings”
« …ces séances ont été très utiles et j’ai beaucoup apprécié la grande qualité humaine et professionnelle [du formateur] »
Practitioner professionals and interested persons from EU member states, institutions, private, public and civil society sectors dealing with European negotiation processes of various sorts.
The training courses will take place in Brussels, Schuman District, in equipped training rooms providing modern teaching facilities (TV or projector) and wireless internet.
Tuition fee: the tuition fee is € 420 (+VAT): Includes full-time trainer, morning and afternoon refreshments, and lunch. Any personal costs are at the expense of participants.
- Course delivery
- CENAD Training materials
- CENAD Training certificate of attendance
FILL IN THE FORM BELOW TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION PROCESS*
* Registration: Please complete the pre-registration form. Should the maximum number of registrations be reached, you will be advised immediately and placed on a waiting list.
Confirmation and payment: Prior payment by bank transfer confirms registration. Upon receipt of your pre-registration form, we shall contact you by email with an invoice. Upon payment you shall be sent all course documentation and practical information.
Cancellation policy: After confirmation of registration, the cancellation policy comes into effect unless a replacement participant is found:
10 calendar days or less before opening date: 50%