International & EU Negotiations
Remote & In-person Strategies & Skills
2021 Online Negotiation Training
For diplomats, civils servants, business & civil society representatives
2 Full Days : 09.00-16.30 (CET) max. 15 persons € 299 p/p (+VAT)
6-7 July / 4-5 Oct / 2-3 Dec
This training is designed for professionals involved in international and EU27 negotiations wishing to improve their negotiation skillfulness
After this 2-day intensive training, participants will have improved their skill-sets to better use EU and international meeting/negotiation dynamics and enhanced their negotiation mastery, capabilities and expertise, as we negotiate new equilibriums in virtual circumstances.
How we train Online
We use a blended mix of ZOOM, WhatsApp and emails to “meet” and negotiate informally as well as in plenary. Our online negotiation trainings are tailored for the new long-term online reality.
CENAD on-line negotiation interactive workshops strengthen the essential conceptual foundations and train the skills and techniques holding the promise to improving screen and audio virtual negotiations. Our completely internalised experiential and interactive methodology blends short presentations, negotiation role-play simulations, discussions, analytical and video replay debriefings so participants acquire greater negotiation expertise and greater self-confidence applicable to their future professional activities.
This training will engage participants directly to improve their negotiation skilfulness relevant to working parties & groups, committees, trilogues as well as multiple informal settings – the de facto “negotiation engine rooms” – ultimately producing legally binding instruments impacting those promoting/defending national, institutional, sectorial and citizen interests.
Methodology & Content
The CENAD training methodology is resolutely “practical immersion” and applied “learning by doing”. Realistic international and EU meeting/negotiation simulations highlight and practice the techniques and skills promoting efficient management where specific constraints and inter-institutional relations play important roles. All simulations are video-recorded: this is used selectively in debriefings.
3 CENAD Negotiation Simulations: our interactive teaching methodology means that all participants are encouraged to invest interactively and perform in the simulations as negotiators and/or meeting chairpersons interchangeably. Debriefings – oral and video – further deepen lessons learned by connecting to participants’ “real worlds”, thus enabling “learning for life” through customised visual assessment and expert (and peer) feedback: everyone sees and hears themselves “in action” in a de facto mentoring environment.
Our interactive training brings the following added-values:
- Performing in the skin & shoes of counterparts
- Silo-busting: exchange ideas and experience with peers
- Practice negotiating and receiving immediate expert feedback and coaching
- Expansion of professional networks
- CENAD certificate of attendance upon completion of the training module
What you learn
- Improve the fundamental negotiation skills of real-time meeting analysis, taking the floor, “field” operations (before, during, between sessions), lobbying-advocacy, emotional and cultural talent, hard & soft, intelligent flexibility, problem-solving and consensus-building, twinning strategic planning and tactics, and much more…
- Storytelling: myriad “real-world” negotiation examples illustrate simulation observations
- Improve negotiation performance self-confidence: identify available strategies and tactics
- Improve process management in handling complexity, improve meeting structure
- Learn to integrate bilateral-multilateral with formal-informal meeting skills
- Prepare, coordinate, liaise and operate efficiently in institutional settings
- Promote constructive participation and cooperation without “giving in”
- Manage institutional partnerships when preparing for meetings, chairing and tactical suggestions for dealing with delicate situations and individuals
- Power, constraints and overcoming differences
- Quality communication in various negotiation forums: beyond having good arguments
- Fine-tuning negotiation action-plan preparation methodologies
- Demystify intercultural negotiation
- People skills for informal and formal negotiations
- Diplomatic skills: influencing & structuring informality/lobbying
- Learn to “Eagle-eye” meeting dynamics and priorities
Robert Weibel, CENAD’s Executive Director Founder, will deliver this training. He has helped prepare chairpersons (up to minister-level) for 41 EU Council presidencies as well as working in-service with 25 member state MFAs and Line Ministries. CENAD contractually provides in-house training for the European Commission and the European Parliament as well as for numerous international organisations, diplomatic academies, industry and civil society.
In a nutshell, Robert Weibel ardently believes that well-negotiated outcomes are superior to arbitrarily imposed top-down solutions. He has devoted over 3 decades of his adult life to helping real-world negotiators improve their skills to reach peacefully achieved results appreciated by constituencies and counterparts alike. Whether around a table or across screens, negotiation is unique to humans and we owe it to ourselves to finetune what is good, improve what should be and strive for workable solutions to new challenges. The alternative is conflict, death and destruction.
“What I found the most appropriate is that the theoretical concepts were put into perspective during the debriefings and based on what actually happened during the simulation exercise, creating a great training atmosphere”
“Absolutely pertinent to my daily work, video debriefing extremely useful”
“This 2-day module was more than just a training but a sequence of personal coaching session. I am much more confident in taking the floor during my meetings”
« …ces séances ont été très utiles et j’ai beaucoup apprécié la grande qualité humaine et professionnelle [du formateur] »
Practitioner professionals and interested persons from EU member states, institutions, private, public and civil society sectors dealing with international & European negotiation processes of various sorts.
This is not a MOOC. Group sizes are limited to 6-15 participants maximum to guarantee true interactive online experiential learning.
Tuition fee: the tuition fee is € 299 per pers. (+VAT): includes participation and all course materials
- Course delivery
- CENAD Training materials
- CENAD Negotiation Workbook
- CENAD Training certificate
Gain practical skills through an immersive methodology