EU Negotiation Skills & Techniques – 15-16 November 2018
This training is designed for professionals involved in EU Negotiations wishing to fine-tune & improve
Venue: Brussels, Schuman District
Schedule: 09:00 – 17:00
Price: €480 (VAT incl.)
Discounts: available for multiple same-session registrations!
After this 2-day intensive training, participants will have improved their skill-sets to better use EU meeting/negotiation dynamics and enhanced their negotiation mastery, capabilities and expertise.
This training will engage participants directly to improve their EU negotiation skills relevant to working parties & groups, committees, trilogues as well as multiple informal settings – the de facto “EU engine rooms” – ultimately producing legally binding instruments impacting those promoting/defending national, institutional, sectorial and citizen interests.
Methodology & Content
The CENAD training methodology is resolutely “practical immersion” and “learning by doing”. Realistic EU meeting/negotiation simulations highlight and practice the techniques and skills promoting efficient management where specific constraints and inter-institutional relations play important roles. All simulations are video-recorded and used selectively in debriefings.
3 CENAD Negotiation Simulations: our interactive teaching methodology means that all participants are encouraged to invest interactively and perform in the simulations as negotiators and/or chairs on a rotating basis. All 3 simulation exercises are video recorded and 60% of seminar time is devoted to debriefing/analysing and transposing to participants’ “real worlds” so that everyone “learns for life” through personalised and customised visual, expert and peer oral assessments: everyone sees and hears themselves “in action” in a de facto mentoring environment.
Our interactive training brings these added-values:
- Performing in the skin & shoes of counterparts
- Silo-busting: exchange ideas and experience with peers
- Practice negotiating and receiving immediate expert feedback and coaching
- Expansion of professional networks
- CENAD certificate of attendance upon completion of the training module
What you learn
- Improve the fundamental negotiation skills of real-time meeting analysis, taking the floor, “field” operations (before, during, between sessions), lobbying-advocacy, emotional and cultural talent, hard & soft, intelligent flexibility, problem-solving and consensus-building, twinning strategic planning and tactics, and much more…
- EU-storytelling: myriad “real-world” negotiation examples illustrate simulation observations
- Improve negotiation performance self-confidence: identify available strategies and tactics
- Improve process management in handling complexity, improve meeting structure
- Learn to integrate bilateral-multilateral with formal-informal meeting skills
- Prepare, coordinate, liaise and operate efficiently in institutional settings
- Promote constructive participation and cooperation without “giving in”
- Manage institutional partnerships when preparing for meetings, chairing and tactical suggestions for dealing with delicate situations and individuals
- Power, constraints and overcoming differences
- Quality communication in various negotiation forums: beyond having good arguments
- Fine-tuning negotiation action-plan preparation methodologies
- Demystify intercultural negotiation
- People skills for informal and formal negotiations
- Diplomatic skills: influencing & structuring informality/lobbying
- Learn to “Eagle-eye” meeting dynamics and priorities
- “What I found the most appropriate is that the theoretical concepts were put into perspective during the debriefings and based on what actually happened during the simulation exercise, creating a great training atmosphere”
- “Absolutely pertinent to my daily work, video debriefing extremely useful”
- “This 2-day module was more than just a training but a sequence of personal coaching session. I am much more confident in taking the floor during my meetings”
- « …ces séances ont été très utiles et que j’ai beaucoup apprécié la grande qualité humaine et professionnelle [du formateur] »
Practitioner professionals and interested persons from EU member states, institutions, private, public and civil society sectors dealing with European negotiation processes of various sorts. Group size is limited to a maximum of 12
Robert Weibel, CENAD’s Executive Director Founder, will deliver this training. He has helped prepare chairpersons (up to minister-level) for 37 EU Council presidencies as well as working in-service with 25 member state MFAs and Line Ministries. CENAD contractually provides in-house training for the European Commission and the European Parliament as well as for numerous international organisations, diplomatic academies, industry and civil society.
The training courses will take place in Brussels, Schuman District, in equipped training rooms providing modern teaching facilities (TV or projector) and wireless internet.
Tuition fee: the tuition fee is € 480 (VAT incl.), which includes participation and all course materials. Morning and afternoon refreshments as well as sandwich lunches are also included in the fee. Accommodation and travel costs are at the expense of participants.
- Course delivery
- CENAD Training materials
- CENAD Negotiation handbook
- Lunches, morning & afternoon refreshments
- CENAD Training certificate
Discounts: available for registrations of 2-3 participants per session.
Registration deadlines: 1 month prior to the training session start.
Group size: maximum number of participant is limited to 12 in order to guarantee true interactive and personal coaching/mentoring. In case the minimum number of 6 participants is not reached, options of reimbursement or re-registration to another session are proposed.
Centre for European Negotiation and Decision-making ‘CENAD’
Jonathan Weibel | +32 2 741 24 50
What I found the most appropriate is that the theoretical concepts were put into perspective during the debriefings and based on what actually happened during the simulation exercise, creating a great training atmosphere.
Absolutely pertinent to my daily work, video debriefing extremely useful.
This 2-day module was more than just a training but a sequence of personal coaching session. I am much more confident in taking the floor during my meetings.